On the night seventeen-year-old Jeremy Glass winds up in the hospital with a broken leg and a blood alcohol
level well above the legal limit, his secret crush, Susannah, disappears. When he begins receiving messages from her from beyond the grave, he’s not sure whether they’re real or if he’s losing his grip on reality. Clue by clue, he gets closer to unraveling the mystery, and soon realizes he must discover the truth or become the next victim himself.
Hey everyone, so today is my stop on the UK tour for Lisa Amowitz’ debut novel, Breaking Glass! I was given the opportunity to read this and review it a while back now, so after this you’ll find a snippit of the review and a link to the rest of it! So I do hope you’ll check that out – it really is a great book and a great read.
But for my stop, i’m here to tell you why you should read Breaking Glass in the first place!
- It has a strong main male character. Jeremy Glass is the narrator of this story, we follow him throughout his journey to discover what happened to his friend, and recovering from what happened to him. I find that most of the books I read now-a-days have a female main character, and that is easier for me to relate to. Sometimes, males are harder (as i’m female!) to relate to, but I didn’t have the issue with Jeremy. Lisa’s writing makes it easy to go on the journey with Jeremy.
- The concept of someone contacting you from beyond the dead in order to ‘help them’ is great in books! I’ve been really enjoying books with this concept, and have yet to be let down with any. So if you are interested in this, you should definitely give it a try!
- Clever plot twists! I saw a few twists coming, but others completely blew me away. None were forced, so I enjoyed all of the twists and turns – they weren’t just thrown in for the sake of making the story entertaining. So I promise, Breaking Glass doesn’t get boring.
- Entertaining secondary characters: Hear me out! Sometimes, if the secondary characters are boring, it takes a lot out of the story because you find yourself not enjoying it. But the humour that occasionally popped up, along with romance among other things meant that there wasn’t any boring secondary characters.
- And last but not least, I cannot praise this book enough!
Seriously, that is my last reason. I can’t say enough good about this book – I have nothing ‘bad’ to say. I really enjoyed it, and I’m sure anyone else who picks it up will as well!
I gave it 5 out of 5 stars when I reviewed it – it really is a great read!
“I was left honestly and truly speechless when I finished Breaking Glass, and I’m sure my boyfriend was probably fed up by the gasps and ‘ooo’s and blank stares during the final few chapters of the book, when the mystery all started to come together. But despite the fact that I was left speechless, I know without a doubt that this is one of my favourite books that I’ve read this year. ” Click here for the rest of the review.
Lisa Amowitz was born in Queens and raised in the wilds of Long Island, New York where she climbed trees, thought small creatures lived under rocks and studied ant hills. And drew. A lot.
When she hit her teens, she realized that Long Island was too small for her and she needed to escape. So she went to college in Pittsburgh. Go figure.
On leaving college, Lisa became a graphic designer living in New York City. She eventually married her husband of a zillion years, had two lovely children, and was swept away to a fairy tale life in the Bronx, where, unbelievably there are more trees and wilderness than her hometown. She can see the Hudson River from her kitchen window.
Lisa has been a professor of graphic design at her beloved Bronx Community College where she has been tormenting and cajoling students for nearly seventeen years. She started writing eight years ago because she wanted something to illustrate, but somehow, instead ended up writing YA. Probably because her mind is too dark and twisted for small children.
BREAKING GLASS which was released July 9, 2013 from Spencer Hill Press, is her first published work. VISION, the first of the Finder series will be released in 2014 along with an unnamed sequel in the following year. LIFE AND BETH will also be released in the near future. So stay tuned because Lisa is very hyper and has to create stuff to stay alive.
Website – http://www.lisaamowitz.com/
Facebook – https://facebook.com/LisaAmowitzCoverDesigns
Twitter – https://twitter.com/lisa_amowitz
Buy Now Links:
The Book Depository – http://www.bookdepository.com/Breaking-Glass-Lisa-Amowitz/9781937053383